We are glad to announce short term fellowships for six months in the memory of Late Dr. Tapas Dutta, the founder of “International Centre for Advance Studies”, to be awarded to promising young Scientists from Kolkata, pursuing PhD in the field of basic sciences in an internationally reputed Research Laboratory. In exceptional cases of highly promising research work requiring some more time to complete, extension of the fellowship for another three to six months maximum may be considered. A maximum of three fellowships will be awarded each year. However, in case the selection committee does not find suitable candidates, all the fellowships may not be awarded.
Value: A monthly payment of INR 200000 (equivalent to $ 2900, € 2500 and £ 2200 approx); a part of the fellowship (maximum 50%) may be used for bench fees and research consumables, in case the concerned laboratory demands for the same.
Payment of another INR 150000 may be considered for attending conferences, within the speculated period; that will depend solely upon the decision of the selection board at that time, based upon the relevance and necessity of the conference in relation to the applicant's research.
1) Scientific merit of the research project yet to start or in progress.
2) The standard of the laboratory where the research project is being / will be pursued.
3) Academic achievements of the applicant
1) Applicants must have spent significant time (a minimum of ten years) studying in Kolkata. A sum of ten years period of studying at school/college/university will be considered.
2) Applicants must be pursuing a PhD abroad at the time of applying for the fellowship. Applications from the students already awarded the PhD degree will not be considered. However, if the fellowship holder be awarded the PhD degree before the fellowship ends, he /she may continue to avail the fellowship for the duration remaining, subject to continuation of the research in the same laboratory.
The application should consist of the followings:
1. A brief one page description of the research project, clearly stating the goals, current status and future plans.
2. A complete CV of the applicant.
3. Valid proof that the applicant is perusing PhD in a laboratory abroad. Additionally, three letters of recommendation, one from the current supervisor, and another two from two academics who had known the applicant for a significant period. The recommendation letters should be sent directly through e-mail, with the applicant’s name in the subject.
Two paper copies of the application including the photocopies of all the relevant documents to be sent by postal mail and one full set of application with scanned copies of the documents should be sent through e-mail before the deadline.
Deadline: 31st October 2019.
Mailing address: Nebadhoi School-Para, Dattapukur, North 24 Prgs. West Bengal 743248, India.
An independent selection committee consisting of experts will review the applications.
The selection committee will meet in end of January, 2020 and by mid February, 2020, candidates will be short listed. Those candidates will be invited for an interview in Kolkata in March, 2020. The result of the interview will be intimated to the awardees by April, 2020 and the awardees can avail the fellowship from the following month. They can initiate the fellowship at any time up to six months, after the decision will be communicated. In case of any delay to avail the fellowship, awardees should produce legitimate explanation of the delay and the selection committee will decide over the matter.
In case of any query please call +919836869091 (Monday to Friday from IST 10hr to 16hr) or e-mail to email@example.com.